14 December 2009

What am I doing?!!??

For the past couple of months I have been preparing to run my first half-marathon.  Running is, for me, boring and tedious.  Competing in triathlons I have come to see the run as a necessary evil that must be done to get to the finish and to a cold beer.  I know that I could improve my running but would rather ride 300 miles than run 3.  This past Sunday I went for a little run.  I completed 11 miles in 2 hours!  I think that I will be ready for my half-marathon in January.  I have planned an active 2010.  My A race is going to be an Ironman 70.3 (1.9k swim, 90k bike and 21.k run).  The plan has me doing a couple of sprints(750m swim, 20k bike and 5k run), a couple of Olympic/International (1500m swim, 40k bike and 10k run) before the 70.3.  The goal being that I will complete a mid-season Ironman (3.8k swim, 180k bike and 42.2k run).  The swimming and the cycling have mot been a problem.  I have only been concerned about the running part of the event.  I have participated in a couple of local 5k races here and my last race I was able to set a PR (personal record) of 29:35 minutes.  The events that I am doing are endurance events and running for time is a bit foreign to me.  There will be a day that I might want to run for time, but for now I am happy just finishing and not throwing-up on the finish line. There are some cool things on the horizon for me and I will keep you up on the training and the progress, or lack of progress.  I will continue to ride as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment