22 October 2009

My season is over?

My season ended with the completion of the Wrightsville YMCA Triathlon, however many of my friends are still training. There is Ironman Cozumel, Arizona and Beach 2 Battleship still to come. This means that I still get to ride and train. This morning, just after sunrise, I was asked to ride and ride I did. Paced at 21 mph for 1.5 hours. I then got to ride with another friend later that same morning. Rode 60 miles and averaged 20mph. Looking at it I will probably go out and get another 10 miles and have a century done.
Having the opportunity to help my friends complete their training and push them a little harder than they would normally makes me feel good.
I continue to run and attempting to get time in on my feet. I have and anticipate running in some local 5k's. I have been entered into the Disney Half Marathon in January and want to be able to finish the run. I have re-found a training technique that helped me run distance in the past. I am now running with Navy SEALs and Marines. Not physically, but with their running cadences in my ear. Hearing the cadence calls at 160bpm sets my pace at a 9 minute mile. Just like in cycling, being able to judge a cadence keeps you from burning yourself up. I trained and continue to train with music on the bike. This helps me in keeping that cadence steady. My legs know what a 90-95 cadence is and naturally spin at that rate. Using the same approach and training my running legs to keep that 160 cadence will get me through the run. The countdown has begun to Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment